Friday, February 27, 2015

Leonard Nimoy: What We Lost and Now Mourn

Today we lost Leonard Nimoy. Which is a lot more than one might think. We lost a generation, a hope and a kind of hero that we have nowhere... not even on the famous Marvel movie screens.

No... we lost a lot more than a man today.
We lost a hero.

A hero who stood for humanity and civilization - two such things we never thought would part - never thought would go - but go they are... they are so far off in the distance, that Nimoy is now closer to his true home.

I envy him. I want to be up in those stars - up with him tonight. I want to shake the hands he'll shake - of the men and women who came before and shaped an entire generation of adventurers, enthusiasts for life and freedom fighters who just knew what was right - knew what to do - with laughter and less fear.

"For none now live who remember it." Oh, how these words from LOTR ring in my head. I think of Star Trek IV, like so many of us are now, and the world they fast forwarded too - where Spock worked his 'wisdom' on a rude young street punk with a boom box - and we're wondering, deep down, "where did that future go?"

As I came out of the fog of this dampening reality, of life without Spock, without Leonard, without Nimoy, I finally heard the song on the radio... Beyonce's 7/11 lyrics literally, in that same single moment, "I'm fresher than you..." repeated 8x. Over and over.

What a difference a world makes. I want to live in his.
Come back, Leonard. Please come back.
The stars will never reach or preach your shine like our hearts will.

Missing you forever.

A devoted fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment